Hello and welcome to my blog!
My name is Mia and I’m from Stockholm, Sweden. In this blog I write about what I experience on my travels to countries all over the world. Why do I travel so much? Well, the reason is simple, traveling is my life.
I started traveling when I was 18. I went to the US to work as an au-pair. This was my first trip abroad, the first time traveling on my own, and the first time on an airplane. I was super nervous and excited at the same time. I have to admit that I almost cried when the plane took off because I was convinced that I was going to die.
USA is so different from Sweden. It amazed me. The year went by too fast. I visited L.A, New York City, Chicago, Florida, Maine, and Cape Cod during my year in the States. The landscape, the cities, the buildings, the shops, the food, the people, everything was so interesting and different and I loved it. I wanted more. I felt something inside me change, something that told me that I needed to see, explore, and experience much more. Yes, this was the moment when I realized that traveling is my passion.
This was the start of a lifelong journey to all corners of the world. To places and countries no one of my friends or family had ever heard of. Traveling is my passion, my mission and my life.
In 2017, I took my backpack and went on a nine month-journey through South East Asia and Oceania. I did everything most travelers do and I had a great time. Coming back to Sweden after these nine months was difficult. I felt like I hadn’t done or seen enough. There was something I needed to do, something more than just traveling from country to country. I feel that there are stories I need to share with the world.
Since I started traveling I had a goal to visit as many countries as possible. There are 193 countries in the world that are member states of the United Nation and 2 that are non-member observer states. My goal is to visit 100 countries before 2020.
The real goal is not about visiting 100 countries, it’s about what I learn along the way, the interesting people I meet in places where you least expect it, the experiences, good and bad, the obstacles I encounter and survive like food poisoning, and other random things I come across on my journey that educate and enrich my life and most of all make me a better person.
I have ticked off 87 countries so far where I have stayed at least one night or more. I have done many solo trips to fantastic countries. I have experienced and done amazing things. Too many to list all of them. But as an inspiration to you who are looking for amazing things to do and see, I have compiled a list of my favorite things I have experienced. I have listed them in random order.
Amazing things I have accomplished so far…
- Climbing Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
- Staying on a live-a-board around the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
- Bungy jumping off the highest bridge in the World, South Africa
- Scuba diving in the Komodo Islands, Indonesia
- Enjoying stunning view from a helicopter over Grand Canyon, USA
- Tandem sky dive in my beautiful country of Sweden
- Walking with lions when volunteering at a lion conservation project, Livingstone, Zambia
- Jumping in the sand dunes of Soussusvlei, Namibia
- Galloping on a horse over the plains of Mongolia
- Relaxing in the Blue Lagoon, Iceland
- Feeling the warmth of the sun in my face while sitting on the impressive Pulpit Rock, Stavanger, Norway
- Savoring delicious oysters freshly picked right out of the ocean, Walvis Bay, Namibia
- Finding peace of mind in a silent retreat, Bali, Indonesia
- Smoking a cigarette in front of a monk, as per his request, Yangon suburbs, Burma
- Snorkeling in crystal clear water among schools of fish and the biggest and most beautiful corals I’ve ever seen, Yasawa Islands, Fiji
- Freezing my ass off in the beautiful mountain area of Ladakh, India
- Getting lost in the narrow streets of Hutongs, Beijing, China
- Driving a motorbike like a local on winding roads in Danang, Vietnam
- Scuba diving in the crystal clear water in the South Pacific, Gizo, Salomon Islands
- Witness lava explosions up close, from the edge of a volcano crater, Tanna Island, Vanuatu
Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog! I hope you’ll check in again. You’re welcome to join me in my journey. Visit my YouTube channel for more stories.
Stockholm, Sweden 🇸🇪